UMT - ERASMUS + MARE RESEARCH PROJECT
The project aims to provide support to academicians in Asian higher education institutions (HEIs) to design and implement new and improvised syllabus of courses related to the marine environment and sustainability. The issue is highlighted in the project as the marine ecosystem and sustainability has become an environmental governance challenge in the Asian partner countries.
The development of syllabus and module will enable HEIs organisations to align their course content and learning programme strategy with requirements of the current law and regulation related to the issues of marine sustainability. The chosen courses for the project will cover the topics of coastal sciences, delta science, area-based management, fisheries, seabed resources and food security, offshore, exploration and mining and marine pollution.
Other aims of the project are to strengthen the networking between HEIs to promote blended online learning for the courses. The partners will collaborate in minimizing the skills and facility gap and provide platform for variety of interactive e-learning tools, reading, audio-visuals, case study collections and regular webinars related to the courses. This is due to the high demand of e-learning platform for future ready education.
The main concept of MARE is to encourage sustainable governance and management of coastal, delta & marine (CDM) socio-ecological systems in the Asian partner and adjacent waters through ICT-enhanced tertiary education.
To address this need, Erasmus+ has financially supported MARE projects through cooperation for innovation and the exchange of good practices as part of the “Capacity Building in the Field of Higher Education” project. The project which is coordinated by University of Bremen, Germany has been awarded €968,844.00 over a three-year project duration.
The HEIs partnership project is a collaboration between three European partners: Germany, Italy and Estonia and two Asian partners: Vietnam and Malaysia.
- University of Catania (UNICT)
- Estonian University of Life Sciences (EMU)
- Institute of Anthropic Impact and sustainability in marine Environment (CNR)
- University of Bremen (UNIHB)
- Universiti Kuala Lumpur (UNIKL)
- Universiti Teknologi Malaysia (UTM)
- Universiti Teknologi PETRONAS (UTP)
- University Malaysia Terengganu (UMT)
- Ho Chi Minh City University Of Natural Resources and Environment (HCMUNRE)
- Vietnam Maritime University (VMU)
- Centre for Marine life Conservation and Community Development (MCD)
- College of Environment and Natural Resources