- Laman Utama
- Tentang Kami
- Peralatan Makmal
- Pusat / Unit
- Hubungi Kami
Upwelling is an oceanographic feature that is very important to the ocean ecosystem. It brings high nutrient water to the surface and the impact is noteworthy to the ocean productivity. This nutrient-rich water will encourage a phytoplankton bloom that is ultimate base for large animal population in the food chains, including fish, mammals and sea birds. Although this coastal upwelling regions covers relatively small areas of the ocean surface, they contribute roughly 50 percent of the world’s fisheries landings.
We believe it is important to put special attention in providing specific tools and skills in understanding upwelling dynamics. Upwelling dynamics holds a very important value that require special skills, but the nature of the study is rather straightforward and can be done using many available data such as satellite, World Ocean Database and re-analysis of wind data. Thus, the training will hopefully can become very important initiatives to allow exploration at any particular upwelling site.
• To explore existing upwelling site using available datasets and increase understanding of the physical-biological interaction dynamics of upwelling regions
• To construct integrated data gathering which involve field data, satellite data and wind-data at any particular upwelling site
• To conduct simple analysis from the integrated data in determining special characteristic of any particular upwelling site
The targeted audiences include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Marine and coastal scientists
• Oceanographic data managers
• Academic professors
• Government officers
• Environmental scientists with knowledge of essential marine parameters
• Students in the oceanographic or meteorological sciences
Participants should have
• Educational backgrounds in oceanographic sciences
• Proficiency to use personal computers with Windows or Mac
• The working knowledge of English
• Preferably user with skills of Matlab or ArcGIS
Please fill the online application form: https://otga.wufoo.eu/forms/otga-application-form-integrated-data-analysis/Period for Applications:
1 August – 5 September 2017Before starting filling the online application form, please make sure to have available the following:
– a motivation statement (text file) of maximum 300 words;
– scan of the bio page of your passport; in case you are a national of the host country a valid identification/citizen card can be used instead of the passport;
– scan of the endorsement letter (in case you are asking for funding)
– link to your profile on OceanExpert (www.oceanexpert.net); if you don’t have one make sure you create one in advance.
The deadline to submit the application closes 5 September 2017. Do not leave for the last minute since the system will close automatically. In case you have any questions please contact the organisers well in advance: given time differences you may not get a reply to your questions immediately.
Both full- and co-sponsoring are available for a limited number of participants.
The selection of participants who will be sponsored will take into consideration:
For more detailed information on how to apply see http://classroom.oceanteacher.org/mod/page/view.php?id=5771
In case of questions please contact: